Today it was 85 degrees. What?! It is full on Sprummer here in California. So it is time for a yummy, light recipe that matches the sunny vibe.
Chicken tacos with pineapple slaw and mango salsa
These tacos were so yummy and definitely hit the spot on a hot day. They taste very fresh and light, but are also packed full so we really didn't have any room for sides.
Make coleslaw in advance, even right when you wake up in the morning, it is always best to let it marinate, it really gets better throughout the day the longer it all mingles in the fridge
- Bag of cabbage mix
- 1 C mayonnaise
- 1/4 C apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Celery seed
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 inch chunks pineapple cut from fresh pineapple or from a can (drained and rinsed)
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Celery seed is key and it makes coleslaw have that unique "coleslaw" taste haha so don't skip it!! It would also be good to cut back a little of the sugar and add in pineapple juice for a fuller pineapple taste. Cover and put in fridge until dinnertime. Let mingle for AT LEAST 1 hour to get the best taste out of your slaw!
- Jar of your favorite salsa
- roughly chopped chunks of mango.
I kid. Kind of...haha thats exactly what I did, and you should do it too because it's way easy. I suggest getting a saucier salsa rather than a pico de gallo because it will be just a tad sweeter to go with the mango. There are tons of great mango salsa recipes online so make it from scratch if you are feeling ambitious! ; )
Other ingredients & Extras
- Small taco sized tortillas (wheat or corn)
- Mexican blend cheese
- Grilled, sliced chicken made and seasoned to your liking
- Fresh Avocado
The evolution of a taco.
1. Melt cheese on to tortilla 2. Add heaping serving of mango salsa 3. Add grilled, sliced chicken
4. Pile on pineapple slaw 5. Top with fresh avocado 6. Skewer that bad boy to keep it closed!
It was so, so yummy and super filling!